Totally awesome software for iPhone and OS X

Friday, August 1, 2008

Hassle free contacts.

I've just received my beta invite for Soocialand have been playing around with it a bit.

It looks so far like the perfect application for syncing contacts between your macs/gmail/phones etc. It's very slick. Of course, my crappy £5 Sagem 'pay as you go' phone isn't supported, so I could just use .mac (or me.com as they call it) and hack the Leopard Address book to sync with GMail (which was my previous setup). However, I'm interested in a couple of things;

1. Smoothness of operation - .mac had an annoying tendency to sync things at seemingly random times and was quite obtrusive when it did so. Soocial may even run alongside .mac syncing in the future, they advise turning this off for now however.

2. Cost - The beta is free and I've no idea if Soocial will start charging for their service later (I was too lazy to read all the details), but it could potentially replace my .mac account as I don't really use many of its other features.

3. Support - I know at least one person who'd love it if this synced with windows PCs as well, probably with Outlook (or wherever you store contacts on a PC). It seems to me that Soocial have the advantage here as, in theory, they can build in support for almost anything they can be bothered to. I suspect .mac will stick to iPhones and Macs for the foreseeable future.

1 comment:

danielspronk said...

ere, thanks for blogging about Soocial. We indeed are planning to support any device/software that uses contacts in the future.
As matter of fact we're almost done with our Outlook support, so we hope to release that soon.

© 2007 Wired Up And Fired Up